It has been a busy couple of months since our last update.
Recruit Week – In April we went to Seattle to ACTION’s recruit week. There were 6 new missionaries accepted and prepared to be sent. Among them our dear friends, Tim and Lindsey Bayne. They will be going to Fortaleza Brazil to run a mission post and volunteer at the Lar. You can keep up with their adventures on Facebook, Missional Love. Keep praying Mt. 9:38, that the Lord of the harvest would send workers. Maybe there are some in your church? Ask us about opportunities.
Ecuador – I just got back from a trip to Ecuador. I spent time with a few of ACTION’s missionaries. I was able to take part in Francisco and Nita’s Kid’s Club. A ministry that is evangelizing and discipling up to 60 children and adolescents, the highlight was this photo of a new sister in Christ. I did have the opportunity to play Hopscotch with the 7-9 year-olds. I lost because I made a rookie error and opened the door for Deisy to “run the table”. It won’t happen again.
I participated and counseled through the restructuring of the ACTION Ecuador board. It was encouraging as there is a new movement with a new vision and young blood to get a good restart. Pray for them as they add a couple more members then vote for the next Board. Pray for unity and a continued vision to reach out and send.
Missed trip to Costa Rica – I was supposed to visit missionaries in Costa Rica but needed a certificate of Yellow Fever vaccination to go from Ecuador. I can’t get these vaccines now due to cancer treatment. I returned to the US and am planning my trip to Costa Rica from the US- no yellow fever!
- Health – Tests next week to verify that the Lord is still securing the cancer.
- Future travel plans & ministry – The Lord has currently called me to this new position as Regional Coordinator for Latin America. Pray that the Lord continues to secure the disease so that travel is possible.
- Trip to Brazil – We have a trip planned for June 17- August 15
- Short term group – Southwest Church
Southwest is returning after 7-years. We are so excited to lead this return and group. Pray as they will be working at the Lar, doing a couple VBSs and a kid’s program in a favela.
- NAYARA IS GETTING MARRIED
Our little Nayara, now 27, is getting married on Aug.5. She came to the Lar in 2004. She is our Brazilian daughter and now a nurse. I have the honor in participating in this wedding. Pray I don’t get rough with Renner, her future husband and a dentist.
- Possible trip to Paraguay
God willing and health permitting, we will visit ACTION missionaries in Paraguay after the wedding.
- Paige studying for Doctorate
- Paige is currently taking classes at Clemson. Pray with her as she considers a doctorate. Her desire is to be better equipped as we strive to participate, serve and counsel orphanages in a Godly form of orphan care, creating low and no-cost programming promoting great outcomes in emergent and third world orphanages.
Our call is to serve ACTION missionaries and the people of Latin America and the Caribbean by encouraging and equipping as is possible so that they can do what they are called to do in Christ’s name. Thank you for being a part of that and praying with us specifically for this region of the world.
Mark and Paige.